I’ve finally finished my launcher tool! It now has support for photoshop and project folder, and I’ve made some nice UI tweaks as well as a lot of bug fixing!
Here’s a video of the tool in action! Excuse the horrible quaility…trying to find a free recorder and editing program that would use the same codec was maddening and I was also full of the cold at the time, so I have a snuffly voice!
Nucleus Project Manager from Amy Stevens on Vimeo.
Photoshop and Folder Support
I added support for opening photoshop and a project folder. The folder was no fuss, but photoshop was a pain!
I really wanted to be able to define a defualt save location for any new file created in photoshop, but couldn’t find a way to do it outside of photoshop. There’s no file I can edit in the same was as 3Ds max. Most suggestions online involved opening a file and saving it or using photoshop actions. Opening a file goes against what I want to do with the tool, and photohop actions are a topic to learn another day.
Hopefully the ability to open the project folder means the user can at least copy the folder location when they first save.
Next time I do a script classes and functions will actually be planned…
This whole script was hack on top of hack becuase I didn’t have a defined plan or scope and it caused loads of bugs. A lesson learned!
So I discovered Qt Designer stylesheets…
…and posted this on facebook to annoy everyone I know.
On a more serious note, stylesheets in designer are great to use. I just used the dropdown options here, which don’t offer a great deal of customization, but were enough for my needs.
I added a nice dark grey colour scheme and an icon, because its not finished until it has an icon! Had some trouble getting this to work until I remembered to include it in my setup file for packaging, oops! The icon could probably be more detailed/interesting but it does its job.
This time I wanted to package my project into an .exe that could be run independently of python. To do this I used the cx_Freeze module. I created a setup file that specified which files I’d like included in my build, and then ran:
from the command line, in the scope of the folder that setup.py was in. This was easier than expected, especially considering I’d had problems before trying to use pyinstaller, which seems to be the recommended packaging module.
This made me a lovley wee .exe with a folder that had the json files required for running the program, along with all the associated python modules! Very pleased with this result.